Friday, February 16, 2007

Shout Out: The Birthday Girl/Wife

It was Paula’s birthday this week and I would be remiss if I did not give her a shout out. She’s not as young as she used to be - she's gonna get all flustered when she reads this, but it's a given as it is her birthday – but like a bottle of the finest Chardonnay, she simple gets better with time.
I really don’t know what to write; I’m sure something will come to me. My M.O. doesn’t’ include mushy sentiments, poetic lines and the like...the fact that it is a Friday and a three-day weekend (y’all holla back for the no work on Monday) doesn’t help, putting me in a jovial mood. I'll try too eek out some sentimental musings for this special occasion. Rest assured there'll be a spattering of witty lines.
Let's just say I rocked the house for Valentines Day and her birthday - a day at Spa Sydell and and 2 GB iPod Nano with some of that hip-hop mess she likes to work out to. (I snuck in some OkGo and AFI for good measure.) With this 1-2 combo, I've basically solidified myself among the upper eschelons of great husbands everywhere. There have been some negative ramifications from these gifts. You know those kids always walking around with their MP3 players, oblivious to the world? Paula's regressed to a 15-year old. I've been home for like 20 minutes and I've had to answer the phone (I was in the study; the phone was in the kitchen with her) and go tap her shoulder when I need to talk to her because she's busy listening to Earth, Wind and Fire. I can tell we're going to have to set some ground rules...
Last year we went to Shout and had sushi with the gang; this year will be a lower key sans raw fish as Paula is carrying Logan, Jr. (that’s not going to be his name…just speculating). We’ll probably end up back home around 8-9 tonight and that’ll be our weekend extravaganza. And who cares? Everything I want/need is will be there with me.
I couldn’t have found a better match for me than Paula; it’s cheesy as heck and overdone (Thanks, Jerry Mac) but she really does complete me. Serious. And that’s how it should be when you find someone you want to spend eternity with – someone who pushes you to be your best, loves you in spite of your faults, makes you laugh and smile; you need someone who, when they make you mad (or vice versa), it doesn’t alter the relationship, just provides opportunities to grow. That’s what I found in Paula.
So, here’s to you, sweetheart: that dimpled smile, three Broadway shows together and your mild case of OCD; the Kids Meal at Frontera, our love of raw fish and your never-ending affection for your baby blanket; to your constant 10-2 on the steering wheel, our unforgettable first Christmas together and your road rage; to your love of reading, our standing date Thursday at 8:30pm for The Office and our common disdain for the excessive use of exclamation marks (Note: there's only one in this entire post); to you loving me at my worst and best…and back atcha…
In the words of two of the greatest poets of our time - so great they don't need first names - Brooks and Dunn, "There ain’t nothing about you that don’t do something for me."
And in the words of this poet...






To quit, break up and move in a flash;
Some might say that was a little rash
No...
It was the best decision of my life;
Now I have a wonderful, beautiful wife.

Happy Birthday!

2 Comments:

Emily C said...

Happy Birthday Paula!!

Anonymous said...

You're a lucky man, Logan Roberts. And your wife is a lucky woman, I might add.