Thursday, February 22, 2007

Weight for it...weight for it...

This week has really been a blur; I can’t believe it’s almost been a week since the last post. Wow. What do you do?
Paula’s about to break out of her first trimester and that’s a good thing. In fact, as a manifestation of the fruition of additional motherly characteristics, she’s made me breakfast the past two mornings! (As one not prone to inundate my posts with exclamation point, note the significance.) This has happened only maybe…well, hardly ever on a weekday. I really enjoy it though, and am highly appreciative. I love getting the tap on the shoulder saying that breakfast is ready and me rolling out of bed. A great start to my day. Tuesday was cheesy scrambled eggs and toast; today was pancakes…thanks, babe. You rock.
I’ve gone to the gym twice so far this week and will go again tonight. It's a massive improvement over the past 8-10 weeks. I rolled my ankle really badly around Thanksgiving, so that kept me (or gave me an excuse) away from the gym; follow that by Christmas, NYC and shoulder/neck injury mid January…you get the picture. But I’m bouncing back, determined to stay consistent. It’s imperative I lose this office gut. I’m not the progeny of skinny people. My frame was built for one who lived 100-200 years ago, when this really wouldn’t be an issue; I’d spend all day working on the range and burn enough calories to stay fairly fit. But alas, I am consigned to spend my days with the WWW, TV, AC and NCAA, when I sit around 8-9 hours a day in addition to sleep.
Wow.
If I only just sat around 8-9 hours a day...
I’ve had an epiphany of why my gut has forced me to purchase larger pants. Before I’m called a bum here, think about it. If you have an office job, how much do you move around in a day? Let me break it down for you. From the time I get into the car to drive to work and get home, it’s been 10-11 hours; I sleep 7 hours usually; on the average, I watch 1½ hrs of TV. Add eating dinner, reading, balancing the budget, pay bills online, posting on my blog, some Freecell…there are maybe 2½-3 hours a day I’m actually moving around. Seriously, I’m sedentary over 20 hours a day. I have maybe two hours when I can move around burn some extra calories.
And it takes its toll.
It’s become readily apparent my body can’t do what it used to; moreover, my body can’t recover like it used to. I can get all sorts of crazy playing football or basketball and be fine, but the next morning I’m a living ad for Icy Hot. It’s embarrassing; every time I go play basketball, Paula implores me to not get hurt. Partly because it’s churchball and you have a lot of out of shape, glory-day-warriors, wannabes and neverwere’s running around; a truly pathetic display. The other part is I’m out of shape. “I am a victim of my time, a product of my age” and bring such embarrassments upon myself. And that’s why I’m rededicating myself to the gym. Just so I can not be one of those pear-shaped guys.
And so I can keep my beard. If you aren’t aware of my beard deal, it’s in this post.
Speaking of beard, the moment you’ve all been waiting for. A picture. Drumroll please…..


Today is day 16 of growth and I gotta say, I’m proud of what has transpired; it’s coming along nicely I’d say. The general consensus is that the guys dig it, the girls and testosterone challenged don’t. But let me know what you think.
(Paula, Mom, Natalie and Julia, I already have you noted as avid fans, so you don’t need to comment.)

4 Comments:

Lindsay said...

Hey Logi...I love it. You look great and Rach and I both think you look slimmer. What a handsome man you have become.

Russell Roberts said...

hey logan! it looks really cool. actually, mom saw it and was impresssed. she really liked it a lot.

Unknown said...

yeah, and mom happened to by lying through her teeth when she said that, i'm sure...

Benji and Rypie said...

due to the fact that i am not such a great writer, but including the fact that i want to do a shout out to you my eldest brother, i too am growing a beard. my excuse... not to get frostbite while snowmobiling and working. right....