Friday, September 12, 2008

Making a case for C-Mak

Don't forget to become a Cyber Commoron! (see previous post)

The powers-that-be at ING have shutdown all personal email access, so I don’t get to check the ol’ Gmail account much – every other day or so. Anyway, the other day when I did check I had a message from my buddy Nick expressing his concern for my political soul after reading my endorsement of Cynthia McKinney for President of these United States. Additionally he asked for why I would support the former Congresswoman of Georgia.

All of you know of my love for the club. There’s nothing that brings me more joy that slipping into some pleather and rollin’ up onto the scene with the bass-line thumpin’ in the Camry. Clubbin’ is my happy place. For me and other members of the Hip-Hip Generation, Cynthia McKinney (C-Mak, as we call her) is our girl.

“Cynthia McKinney is a strong advocate, mentor and supporter of the Hip-Hop community. Her unique popularity among the members of the Hip-Hop generation and young people across the United States of America has made her a trusted voice on behalf of producers, retailers and consumers of Hip-Hop entertainment.” Posted on her website before losing seat in Congress

This fact alone is sufficient means for me to vote for C-Mak. Of course, there might be some who are not members of the HHG who need more reasons cast their vote for C-Mak come November. Here are some that might help:

  1. C-Mak is an expert on race-relations. Skirted the metal detectors on Capital Hill but did not wear the pin required to identify her as a Congresswoman. When the security guard stopped her by grabbing her shoulder after repeatedly calling after her to stop, she punched him. In a move learned from our greatest ambassadors for racial peace (Jesse Jackson, Harry Belafonte, Louis Farrakhan, Jeremiah Wright), she said chalked up the incident to racial profiling. Some may see this as divisive but I see it as resourceful. See, when Crazy Hugo Chavez, or Putin’s puppet President (alliteration), are starting up some ruckus with us, she’ll play break out the race/gender cards and BAM! the ACLU will be all over those guys! No one can beat the ACLU. Crisis averted.
  2. The woman knows how to run an effective, clean campaign. In 1996 when she called her opponent’s supporters "holdovers from the Civil War days" and "a ragtag group of neo-Confederates", even though the guy was Jewish. And there was that other time in 2000 when she wrote “Gore's Negro tolerance level has never been too high. I've never known him to have more than one black person around him at any given time” even though Mr. Internet’s campaign manager was black. The best example of her graciousness in defeat was expressed by her father after her loss in 2002: A reporter asked Billy McKinney about his daughter's use of an old endorsement from former Atlanta mayor Andrew Young. Such endorsements were worthless, Papa McKinney replied, because "Jews have bought everybody. Jews."
  3. C-Mak is intimately involved with the War on Terror, as illustrated by the fact her list of campaign donors while a Congresswoman included both terrorist sympathizers like Abdurahman Alamoudi, the former executive director of the American Muslim Council, and actual terrorists like former college professor Sami Al-Arian. Don’t think this isn’t a strength; it means she already has an in with the terrorists and we all know they’d never let anything happen to their own – except for those guys they strap with explosives and send into areas with large amounts of people.

There it is – my case of Cynthia McKinney. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need a drink of water. My tongue fell asleep after being in my cheek so long.

3 Comments:

Megan said...

Ok, so I wasn't able to read the sarcasm (language of the devil) in your endorsement. Here are a couple things I know:

After reading the comments and blog entries about Medicaid and Food Stamps and the Stampin' Mad... I thought I needed to post a little reminder.

1. Talking about or complaining about problems in this country is really just taking a small step toward making a change. And if the talking is not formulated in a way that inspires others to join in making the change, I believe it's taking a step back. So, you ask, how can I really make a difference?

2. Run for a public office. The most inspiring and uplifting moments of the RNC was when Sen. McCain issued the challenge, "If you find faults with our country, make it a better one. If you’re disappointed with the mistakes of government, join its ranks and work to correct them. ... Run for public office. Feed a hungry child. Teach an illiterate adult to read. Comfort the afflicted. Defend the rights of the oppressed. Our country will be the better, and you will be the happier. Because nothing brings greater happiness in life than to serve a cause greater than yourself."

This is good advice for everyone, especially for members of the Church. We have been told time and time again to do our part to make a difference.

I'll end this comment ( which might have been better as my own post) by suggesting we follow the words of Toby Keith (who I won't quote often) 'a little less talk and a lot more action'.

The Cobles said...

Ah yes, the immortal words of Toby Keith... too true.
I agree with Nick that running for public office is a great way to influence policy you disagree with. However, after reading "Stampin' Mad" (and especially the comments left about it) I fear that Logan's particular knack for alienating and humbling his friends with name calling and blanket statements, might seriously undermine any attempt to do so. Just sayin’.

The Cobles said...

K so I was just kidding in my previous comment, but when I read it today, I realized it just sounded mean. So today I'll leave a sincere comment:
You are a very good writer and I'm usually very entertained when I read your posts! I especially liked your case for C-Mak.