Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Satisfying Weekend

I'd be remiss if I failed to mention my Cougars of BYU. As many of you know, I am a big fan of the Cougars and an advocate for all their program stands for. One of the reasons I love BYU football is because of what it embodies: a group of athletes who are not the premier at their position, but are individuals who are good people. While I'm not ignorant to the errant ways of some, as a whole I believe these football players are honest, moral and good people; I would go as far as to say there isn't another football team in the nation that espouses the virtues of the BYU Cougars. Find me a team that presents a spiritual devotional every Friday night before their game on Saturday, whether at home or away; find me a coach (not local law enforcement) that requires regular community service participation.
The consequence of such standards is that it prevents the elite athletes from attending BYU. Nothing against the Mark Sanchez's, Beanie Wells, Knowshon Moreno's and Michael Crabtree's of the game, but there's no way they'd go to BYU even if they were in a BCS Conference going 11-2. No alcohol after the game? No sex? No Starbucks? No chance. So, BYU competes with below average athletes with above average morals. And sometimes that translates to a mark in the 'L' column. Such is the trade-off. And a trade-off I'm happy to make.
However, in recent years it seems moral fortitude and athletic ability have converged to produce the nations longest winning streak, the 2nd leading receiver in the nation, a QB 3rd in YPG, % and TD's, and a scoring summary (against a BCS team who knocked of a ranked BCS team their previous game) that is rarely seen. It's something to rise and shout about.

4 Comments:

Just a Sports Fan said...

I loved every minute of that game. There is something about being in the LES that gets the blood pumping. I hope that Lee Corso chokes on his pencil after saying that UCLA would upset BYU.

Nick and Megan Wilson said...

Ok, I have to say that I am thrilled that BYU beat UCLA the way they did and agree that not only BYU, but the entire Mountain West needs more recognition. I mean 5-0 against the PAC-10 this year!!! It's time for an automatic bid to the BCS from this conference! Not that it will happen anytime soon, but this type of thing helps the MWC put a case together.

I also have to say that there are some parts of this entry that I don't agree with entirely. For one, I think that the "Mark Sanchez's, Beanie Wells, Knowshon Moreno's and Michael Crabtree's of the game" don't attend, or even look at attending, has more to do with the fact that BYU isn't going to put them on the National Radar like USC, Ohio State, Georgia or any other big time program, than it does with the Honor Code. I would be willing to bet that these athletes don't even know BYU has an Honor code!

I realize that BYU may lose some recruits to other middle of the road programs, or even a handful of top recruits to the bigger schools because of the Honor code, but I believe that it has more to do with BYU's ability to put them in the first round of the draft.

"The Cougars have had 10 players selected in the first round of the draft, including eight different players who were drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft, one player selected in the first round of the USFL Draft and one player selected in the first round of the CFL Draft." www.byucougars.comFiling.jsp?ID=6513

USC for instance has had 17 players selcted in the first two rounds of the draft since 2003!

And finally (phew) BYU has more recruiting power than any team in the Mountain West. They should win the conference championship every year (which I guess they have lately HAHAHA). Unlike most MWC schools, BYU can pull athletes from all over the world because of the influence of the Church.

As a Cowboy fan from Wyoming, playing in the same conference against BYU every year, trying to recruit some of the same athletes, I know better.

American citizen said...

Hey dude,

Did you see Max Hall was the #1 offensive player this week on ESPN? A lot of people are really starting to notice BYU. In fact, I got into an argument with some guys in the office about it. Folks, you can't help but notice a team that beats UCLA. Sorry, not just beat them, but blew them out and handed them their arses on a plate. Go Cougs!

Anonymous said...

Check out Bronco Mendenhall on the Jim Rome show here: http://1280thezone.com/images/uploads/audio/9-17-08%20rome%20with%20bronco.mp3

It was a great interview.