Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Appliances and Condos

The newly formed Logan and Paula Roberts family made its final move towards autonomy yesterday through the acquisition of a functioning washer and dryer. We had acquired a washer and dryer via Will and Natalie; however, they had obtained these items via freecycle.com and neither was working. Not one to nix a free washer and dryer, I moved them into the apartment and, with my feeble knowledge, attempted to repair them. The washer wasn’t much of an issue; the dryer was. After throwing the breaker – not the little one in my apartment, the big one outside it – during my mechanic fix, I but the dryer on the back burner to such things as a wedding, work, a trip to Wyoming, etc… Paula ended up switching off weeks between doing laundry at the Giddens’ and at her parents.
So, Paula found this nice washer and dryer on Craigslist and I shot the person an email, yada yada yada, we got it.
I made my way to Midtown, and to the 2300 square foot corner apartment of the Hakes family. Mrs. Hakes was very gracious, offered me a beverage and we chatted for a little bit until the hired help arrived…Kurt and Paul…and we loaded the appliances into the truck. Mrs. Hakes even helped with the tying down of the appliances, as she ‘grew up on the ocean’ and had an in depth knowledge of knots.
While I was visiting with Mrs. Hakes she mention her husband was writing a book and was about to be published. This peaked my curiosity, as I am interested in that area. So I Googled Mrs. Hakes in an effort to find her husband’s name and see what kind of author he was. And this is what I found:
Mrs. Hakes has a PhD and taught at FSU and USF. She has written a ton of articles concerning children and education and was/is on the board of directors for multiple organizations, mostly in Florida.
Her husband is the director of the Jimmy Carter Museum and Library, served in the Department of Energy under Carter and through 2000.
So, unbeknownst to me, I was hobnobbing with some of the crème de la crème of society. And our washer and dryer washed their clothes. Sweet.

0 Comments: