Wednesday, October 18, 2006

A Year of WorkING

Today marks one year since I started at ING. A nervous recent college graduate enter the world of Corporate America, I put on my game face and began my first post-college job. A year later, I have my own cube and am not nervous. ING has been good to me; I enjoy coming to work 4 out of 5 days, I like my coworkers and I do pretty well with the assignments I have. The only part of my job I don't care for is the commute home on Thursday and Friday.
In commemoration of this event, I'm trying to set a record for the most applications configured by one person in a release - 24. This is all Greek to pretty much everyone, so suffice it to say it'll be cool if I can pull it off. Also in commemoration of 10/18, I treated myself to Wendy's. It was good.
I don't know how much longer I'll be at ING. I'm a contract employee. Apparently that means I get paid a little more, but there isn't such thing as paid time off or paid holiday or benefits. It also means on January 2nd, 2007 I will need to be commuting somewhere new; my contract is up December 31st, so yeah. Sort of nervous, the unknown and everything, but what do you do? Tomorrow is always unknown despite our best attempts.
Anyway, Happy Anniversary to me! One year as a working man who yields 1/3 of everything he makes to the government, 1/3 to my wife and the rest to bills. I'm a grown up now!

2 Comments:

Will and Natalie Giddens said...

I can't believe it's already been a year! Wow, time really really really flies. Can't wait to see what you end up doing next!

Anonymous said...

Did you set a new record with the configs? Just curious.